Water Kefir!!

Water Kefir!!
I have wanted to try making my own Kombucha for a very long time but I found it intimidating because in my little pea brained train of thought I was afraid of eating something "rotten". Turns out its not really rotten at all. It's one of the best ways to eat things  on the planet.
So, I had a baby last August and I for some reason felt like I just couldn't recover. I felt so tired ALL the time and I slept plenty (the baby is an awesome sleeper)(don't hate me) the point is I wasnt  feeling better like I thought I should. So I decided to start eating better which led to drinking a revita probiotic coconut water ..I would treat myself once a week. Slowly my habit grew until finally drink at least one a day. I also stopped drinking any alcohol so this would be my drink instead if we went out to a BBQ where everyone else was drinking. Anyways, this can be an expensive habit at $2-3 dollars each. So I did a google on non dairy kefir and I stumbled on a wonderful lady's website (annaskefirgrain.wordpress.com) and she gives the starter away if you live nearby or she will ship it for very little $. Turns out she lives in my city!! How cool is that!? On my way to her house she called me up and asked me if I wanted a Scoby (kombucha starter bacteria) and I said YES to that too. So she apparently has a fridge full of both:) 
By the way I feel totally back to normal only even better. I have a ton of energy and my skin is clearing up and I am really never tired or sad in any way any more. I just have a lot of joy and I'm having a great time with the new baby and really cherishing it all and loving life. I guess I really wanna share with whoever will listen and kefir is one step in the journey I stumbled onto.
I'm going to post more pics of the kefir process as I take them. This is my second batch In the pic above. The first I am attempting a second ferment for more carbonation...we will see. I still have much to learn but I plan on fermenting every thing I can think of in the near future and hopefully for the rest of my life.

Comments